Caring for the Caregiver
“In the midst of the turmoil that cancer has added to my life, Pathfinders has made me feel like a valued person. They have given me reassurance and hope. In so many ways my Pathfinder has made my experience with cancer more manageable."
— GRACE H., Pathfinder Patient
The Cost of Caregiving
A Journal of Family Nursing study detailed the impact of providing care on caregivers’ physical, emotional and financial health. Following are the results of the study:
(JOFN, Vol.11, No.2, 140-161 (2005)
• 97% feel their role was important
• 85% resent having to provide care
• 81% want to provide the caregiving
• 70% say families are not working well together
• 54% visit friends and family less often
• 35% are overwhelmed by their role
• 70% take 1-10 medications/day
• 62% say their health suffers as a result of caregiving
• 25% report significant limitations
• 46% report inadequate resources
• Many missed work as much as the patient.
Caregiver Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Transportation to and from medical appointments, shopping, pharmacy, hairdresser, or religious gatherings.
• Assistance with walking and exercise
• Understanding treatment options,
health insurance, and handling bills.
• Medication management.
• Providing meals or stocking food.
• Housekeeping and maintenance.
• Emotional support.
• Get a massage.
• Listen to music and dance.
• Indulge in pleasure everyday (flowers, bubble baths, dark chocolate, or dine out with a friend.
• Take a walk.
• Listen to relaxing sounds.
• Try meditation.
• Start or renew a hobby.
• Join a support group.
• Play an instrument or sing.
• Try a new healthy recipe.
• Think of a new way to have fun...
A Curriculum for Caregivers
Pathfinders offers its coping strategies to caregivers as well as patients through the Seven Pillars of Personal Strength™. With a focus on enhancing self-care and support, The Seven Pillars™ can help anyone enhance their quality-of-life, while supporting others. Caregivers are offered counseling, specialized support groups, coping skills, and a support community.
For more information about services for caregivers, click the resource button below or please call: